Soil Health

Protecting Soils with No-Till in a Colder Northern Climate

Jerry Morical is showing no-till practices can work in a frigid region of the U.S. as he interseeds cover crops into corn and reaps the benefits of mellower soils.
For decades, Jerry Morical has made a living raising crops in the hilly, sandy loam soils near Garfield in western Minnesota. But his small farm also lies within a recreational haven, surrounded by the Chippewa River watershed and dozens of small lakes.
Read More
No-Till on the Plains

Peer Groups, Cover Crops and Livestock Equals Learning Plus Growth

For the past 3 years, a group of eight Nebraskans has gathered around each other’s kitchen tables to discuss soil health and what steps are needed to improve it.
The peer group is comprised of producers ranging from central to southeastern Nebraska. By periodically involving the NRCS, No-till on the Plains Winter Conference, sponsoring field days and other resources, they seek to learn and share.
Read More
No-Till Innovators

Setting the Pace for Continued No-Till Growth

The 21st Class of No-Till Innovators is being honored for their efforts to promote the adoption of no-till and soil health principles.
Three individuals and one organization are being recognized as the 21st Class of No-Till Innovators for leading the adoption and advancement of no-till at the 25th annual National No-Tillage Conference.
Read More
No-Till Roundtable

What is the best idea, information or advice you received from attending a previous National No-Tillage Conference, and how did it pay off on your farm?

A: “Among the best highlights of previous conferences for me is the revelation that no-till with cover crops is practiced all over and in varying conditions. Ray Archuleta explained what happens to the soil with tillage and all about the soil life, and this has kept me on course and even more determined to keep on keeping on.
Read More
Img_0102

What I've Learned From No-Tilling: Cover Crops Transform Challenging Acres to Efficient Yield Leaders

No-tilling and cover cropping help Mark Turner reduce fertility needs and take fields considered too poor to grow corn to 200-bushel yields.
Pastures used to help hold the soil in place on the rolling hills that dominate our Kentucky farm. My dad raised cattle, so he would rotate fields between corn and hay. When he eventually retired, he liquidated the herd and shifted to row crops.
Read More
StripTillageConference_blue_4c_Working.png

The National Strip-Tillage Conference returns August 8-9, 2024! Build and refine your strip-till system with dozens of new ideas and connections at the 11th Annual National Strip-Tillage Conference in Madison, Wis. Aug. 8-9, 2024. Experience an energizing 2-day agenda featuring inspiring general session speakers, expert-led Strip-Till Classrooms and collaborative Strip-Till Roundtables. Plus, Certified Crop Adviser credits will be offered.

Learn More

Top Articles

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More

Get all things Cover Crop all the time!

Start Your Membership