Seeding Practices

Vos_corn_emerging_copy.jpg

Transitioning to No-Till, Cover Crops in the ‘Dust Bowl’

Nick Vos is pushing to overcome moisture challenges on his farm in southwestern Kansas by no-tilling and using covers to recycle available nutrients and keep his sandy soils protected.
After starting out with strip-till in 2014, Vos has gone to 100% no-till on the vast majority of acres and says he’s addressed erosion and nutrient issues and seeing some relief in irrigation costs.
Read More

5 Tips from the Field for No-Tilling ‘Green’ Successfully

Weather patterns, planter setups and termination timing can create challenges planting into living cover crops, but Matthew Griggs says it’s still possible with some attention to detail.
Humboldt, Tenn., no-tiller Matthew Griggs shared some other real-world insights about no-tilling cash crops green on his operation. Griggs no-tills cotton, cereal grains, corn and soybeans on 1,600 rolling acres in western Tennessee.
Read More
Stuckey_4.jpg

What I've Learned From No-Tilling: Negotiating Challenges and Opportunities When Combining No-Till and Dairy

Cover crops and strategic nutrient-cycling rotations help manage manure, while twin-row cropping tackles late-germinating weeds.
In the last 10 years I’ve seen no-till declining in my area. I simply don’t understand it, maybe it’s the draw of recreational tillage as we like to call it, but to me it’s just not sustainable in the long run.
Read More
truax
Webinar Replay

[Webinar] Capturing the Full Value of Cover Crops, Perennial Pastures

This webinar, sponsored by Truax Co., examines how you can get the full value of cover crops through grazing and expanding your cash crop rotation. No-tiller Gabe Brown of Brown's Ranch in Bismarck, N.D. shares the value of integrating animals into your cropping system and more in this free webinar. [To view any of our webinar replays, you must be logged in with a free user account.]
Read More

[Podcast] Regenerating No-Till Soils After a Season of Saturated Soil

In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast, brought to you by Montag Mfg., we welcome Barry Fisher, a veteran soil health expert and regional team leader with Indiana’s NRCS office to discuss soil health strategies.
In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast, brought to you by Montag Mfg., we welcome Barry Fisher, a veteran soil health expert and regional team leader with Indiana’s NRCS office to discuss soil health strategies.
Read More
Bindl-4.jpg

What I've Learned From No-Tilling: Working with At-Risk Soils Leads to Experimentation and No-Till Success

Adding cover crops, winter wheat and making key equipment changes help keep soils in place in Wisconsin’s Driftless Area.
While I only truly count myself as being a no-tiller for the past 8 years since I started farming on my own, I’m no stranger to the practice. Of the 210 acres I farm, all but 38 acres are considered Highly Erodible Lands (HEL). The land my father, Wayne “Buzz” Bindl, farmed was similar and I’m sure this was one of the driving reasons he started no-tilling back in the early 1980s.
Read More
NNTC_Logo_2024_4c_working (2).png

The National No-Tillage Conference returns January 9-12, 2024! Build and refine your no-till system with dozens of new ideas and connections at the 32nd Annual National No-Tillage Conference in Indianapolis, Ind. Jan. 9-12, 2024. Experience an energizing 4-day agenda featuring inspiring general session speakers, expert-led No-Till Classrooms and collaborative No-Till Roundtables. Plus, Certified Crop Adviser credits will be offered.

Learn More

Top Articles

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More

Get all things Cover Crop all the time!

Start Your Membership