Soil Health

052_Norm_Keets_LB_1015.jpg

Alfalfa, Cereal Rye Bring Added Benefits to Long-Term No-Till

Milledgeville, Ill., no-tiller Norm Deets finds alfalfa helps speed up the transition to no-till and cover crops hold and build soil in areas prone to erosion.
Being the “scourge” of the neighborhood was one of the biggest challenges Norm Deets faced when he started no-tilling. But after 30 years of committing to the practice, he knows the benefits outweigh the nice look of perfectly tilled soils.
Read More
20131205_090958.jpg

Using Cover Crop Benefits As a Primer for Cold Cash

Shenandoah, Iowa, no-tiller Chris Teachout says cover crops are fortifying soils and boosting yields in his non-GMO, corn-soybean rotation.
Chris Teachout compares his cover crop philosophy to taking a new gun out on a bear hunt: No hunter uses a new gun on the big hunt without practicing with it first to work out all the kinks.
Read More

What I've Learned From No-Tilling: Extended No-Till Rotations, Cover Crops Rack Up Cost Savings

Chuck Zumbrun counts herbicides, insecticides and traited seed among inputs he’s slashed significantly by adding wheat and cover crops to his rotation.
I’ve found with many of my endeavors in no-till that I’d implement a practice for one reason, only to reap unexpected benefits and switch gears to further pursue those benefits. This applies to no-till itself, too.
Read More
Black_4.jpg

Lean, ‘Green’ No-Tilling Machine

Double-cropping, ‘planting green’ and adding precision technology is helping no-tiller David Black reduce erosion and boost crop yields.
Having started no-tilling more than 40 years ago, David Black has seen soil health and yields continue to improve. But getting there was, at times, a test of faith.
Read More

Banking Water, Fixing Soils Yield a No-Till ‘Green Up’

Rotational grazing, no-till practices and diverse cover crop mixes are the recipe to healthier soils for Leedey, Okla., no-tiller Jimmy Emmons.
When Jimmy Emmons talks about the major changes he’s making to his farm, he feels compelled to explain that his father and grandfather, “did the best they could do with the equipment they had.”
Read More
StripTillageConference_blue_4c_Working.png

The National Strip-Tillage Conference returns August 8-9, 2024! Build and refine your strip-till system with dozens of new ideas and connections at the 11th Annual National Strip-Tillage Conference in Madison, Wis. Aug. 8-9, 2024. Experience an energizing 2-day agenda featuring inspiring general session speakers, expert-led Strip-Till Classrooms and collaborative Strip-Till Roundtables. Plus, Certified Crop Adviser credits will be offered.

Learn More

Top Articles

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More

Get all things Cover Crop all the time!

Start Your Membership