Soil Health

[Podcast] Regenerating No-Till Soils After a Season of Saturated Soil

In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast, brought to you by Montag Mfg., we welcome Barry Fisher, a veteran soil health expert and regional team leader with Indiana’s NRCS office to discuss soil health strategies.
In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast, brought to you by Montag Mfg., we welcome Barry Fisher, a veteran soil health expert and regional team leader with Indiana’s NRCS office to discuss soil health strategies.
Read More
Pollinator_field_borders_Montana_Jennifer_Hopwood_Xerces_Society-1.jpg

Enlist Pollinators, Predator Insects to Help Fight Pests in No-Tilled Crops

‘Extending the bloom’ with buffer zones, cover crops and native prairie grass strips helps nurture the symbiotic relationship between insects, soils and flowering plants.
In an age of surface-applied insecticides and seed treatments, the importance of beneficial insects and natural pollinators to a thriving agricultural ecosystem can easily be overlooked.
Read More
Frank Comments

Same Old Conservation Ideas, Just New Words to Describe Them

While there’s increasing emphasis on “sustainable agriculture” and “soil health,” these four buzzwords tend to ruffle the feathers of veteran no-tillers and others like myself who have followed the no-till movement for nearly a half century. It’s because we recognize that earlier generations of no-tillers were the original true innovators behind these “not-so-new” concepts that go back to the 1960s.
Read More

[Podcast] Using Regenerative Agriculture to Revive Your No-Till System

In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast series, brought to you by Yetter Mfg. Co., we welcome Gabe Brown, a veteran no-tiller and the owner of Brown’s Ranch in Bismarck, N.D. Gabe shares his no-till journey, where he developed a management system that positively impacted soil biology and allowed nature to help his farm thrive.
In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast series, brought to you by Yetter Mfg. Co., we welcome Gabe Brown, a veteran no-tiller and the owner of Brown’s Ranch in Bismarck, N.D. Gabe shares his no-till journey, where he developed a management system that positively impacted soil biology and allowed nature to help his farm thrive.
Read More
Winter_Forage.png

What I've Learned From No-Tilling: Cattle, Cover Crops, No-Till and Improved Soil Health Provide Returns

Fifth generation of Doans keeping North Dakota’s Black Leg Ranch abundant with diverse business plan of cattle, crops and agritourism.
Some of the soils I helped farm as a child in southwestern North Dakota are probably somewhere in South Dakota now. I grew up in the era of wheat and summer fallow. A lot of the ground around here is very sandy and marginal. Did it ever blow when we were tilling. I remember as a kid getting sent with a disc or a drag to try and make it stop blowing. It seemed so futile, and it was.
Read More
NNTC_Logo_2024_4c_working (2).png

The National No-Tillage Conference returns January 9-12, 2024! Build and refine your no-till system with dozens of new ideas and connections at the 32nd Annual National No-Tillage Conference in Indianapolis, Ind. Jan. 9-12, 2024. Experience an energizing 4-day agenda featuring inspiring general session speakers, expert-led No-Till Classrooms and collaborative No-Till Roundtables. Plus, Certified Crop Adviser credits will be offered.

Learn More

Top Articles

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More

Get all things Cover Crop all the time!

Start Your Membership